TIPS FROM THE PROFESSIONAL
- Proper mowing increases lawn density, which prevents weeds.
- Mow after the lawn has dried out and firmed up.
- Decide which direction to mow open areas. For the best look, either mow parallel to the road or driveway or diagonal to those features. For each subsequent mowing, mow perpendicular to the previous direction.
- Edge beds, driveways, patios and sidewalks on a weekly to bi-weekly basis by running a string trimmer vertically along edges.
- Mow all grass clippings away from mulch beds, structures, vehicles and tree rings.
- Severe weather conditions can stress your lawn and affect growth rates. Adjust your mowing schedule accordingly.
- When mowing, remove no more than ⅓ of the grass blade at a time. Most lawns are a combination of several grass types. Mow when the grass reaches a height of 3 to 3½ inches. Recommended cutting height is 2½ to 3¼ inches.
- Sharpen your mower blades frequently to avoid tearing tender grass blades.
Riding mowers offer convenience but take care not to make sharp turns as mowers will tear up the lawn, especially in wet or extremely dry conditions. Always exercise caution when using a riding mower, and do not use them on extreme hillsides. Push mowers are the better choice for curbed islands, wet areas, extreme hillsides and detail work.
TO BAG OR NOT TO BAG
Rice’s recommends using a mulching mower blade and leaving grass clippings on the lawn as long as they’re cut fine enough to drop into the lawn out of sight. Clippings do not contribute to thatch and, in fact, help replenish nutrients into your lawn. Only remove clippings if they clump and sit on top of the grass, as this deprives your lawn of sunlight and will lead to browning. Bagging clippings in small areas such as around windows, vehicles, swimming pools or other potential hazards and in wet areas were the grass is prone to clumping and when grass has overgrown.
Always wear proper shoes and personal protective equipment when operating mowing machinery.
No time to mow? With Rice’s Estate Landscape Management full-service maintenance package, our teams of technicians handle everything, so you don’t have to worry about it. Contact us today to get started.